I början av Januari 2014 låstes Whoa och du kan alltså ej logga in eller skriva något nytt i forumen. Innehåll i forum osv kommer finnas tillgängligt. Läs Mer »

Proof spökskrev åt Eminem?

Utländsk Hiphop - Allmänt

2006-12-15 18:57

Proof spökskrev åt Eminem?

Läste en intressant sak skriven av Cozmo D borta på jazzyjefffreshprince.com-forumet:

OK,

I probably shouldn't even be sharing this, and I want to preface it with a disclaimer that I am not stating an opinion one way or the other, and that y'all should draw your own conclusions. However, I know what students of rhyme styles many of y'all are, and I know y'all definitely follow Em a great deal more than I do, so here goes.

When "My Name Is" first came out I was introduced to Em at my lawyer's office, who was also Em's manager. I complemented him by saying that "yo, you're mad funny man, but you really got some skills too." He said "that's cause my boy here is my ghost writer" and introduced me to his black homeboy that was rollin' with him, Proof. I said "get the f*** outta here" and Proof jokingly said some nonsense about "yo, I sit down with my pen and morph into a whiteboy" or sumthin stupid like that. I was kind shaking my head after that, I mean even if it was true why would he admit it? However, when I talked to other peeps about it they quickly convinced me that I was being clowned, which made all the sense in the world. After all, I was probably just some obscure one-hit-wonder Old School cat from the '80s to them.

A while later I shared this with my son, who is himself a rapper and a serious rap aficionado (he's 23 now), and of course he thought I was being clowned as well. Then D12 came out, and it seemed real funny to me that Proof's flow sounded EXACTLY like Em's. I pointed this out to him and he thought I was right, but chalked it up to the fact that they had been down with each other and so close for so long. Of course I pointed out to him that in TRUE Hip-Hop that was the exact reason that MC's went through great pains to NOT sound like each other. After all, nobody wants peeps to think that they bit their boy's style. But, I just settled that it's a new age in Rap and cats these days don't care about sounding unique.

Then last April, tragically, Proof was killed. I liked the cat even though I only met him that one time, so it saddened me. Still, it's been a long time since I checked for Eminem as a rapper seriously, since I have been on my Music Industry Anarchist kick for a minnit now. But, tonight I saw this thread, and a little light went off in my head. I haven't heard anything by Em in some time, so I'm totally in the dark here, but it's funny that somebody, ESPECIALLY a rapper like Brakes who's lyrics and style I admire and respect, would say that Eminem's lyrics and flow then and now sound like they were written by two different people. Then, as I'm writing this post, my son calls home from work and I ask him his opinion, and he says yeah, he's thought this for some time now, and that he noticed the change right about the time that Proof was killed. My son then said "maybe there was more truth to what he told you than I thought..."

Hmmmm........

Djingis Khan for life.