I början av Januari 2014 låstes Whoa och du kan alltså ej logga in eller skriva något nytt i forumen. Innehåll i forum osv kommer finnas tillgängligt. Läs Mer »

2008-04-01 12:36

Is Reggae Dead?

REGGAE FANS needn’t get outraged. This isn’t your run of the mill article, which hopes to bury reggae six feet under and merrily dance on its grave.

We’re all too familiar with the battering that the genre has received in recent years from numerous media outlets who, for the most part, spared little or no column inches to highlight long-serving or emerging talent from the reggae scene– yet seemed well-versed in all things reggae when it came to announcing all of the genre’s ills. (Homophobic lyrics, the incitement of violence and so forth…)

But since the hullabaloo that put reggae in the spotlight for all the wrong reasons, what has happened to put the much-loved music in the headlines on a more positive basis? While some within the reggae fraternity have dubbed this year “two thousand and great,” is there really much to celebrate?

Granted, last month was deemed Reggae Month in Jamaica and recent years have seen the emergence of celebrated acts like Tarrus Riley, Gyptian, Chuck Fenda and Mavado.

But are there any acts with the potential to pick up the baton where Sean Paul left it and enjoy global stardom? Has the rise of self-proclaimed ‘gangster for life’ Mavado only served to further attribute reggae with violence? Did the dancehall fraternity become so focused on the Beenie Man/ Bounty Killer/ D’Angel love triangle that they forgot to concentrate on the music?

Are the labels to blame for not promoting reggae artists so they can enjoy success on the same level as R’n’B and hip-hop stars? Or do the artists need to think beyond Jamaica (where many of them are deemed superstars) and aim for success on a more international level?

Whatever the answers, there is no doubt that there has been a sense amongst many in the reggae world that the industry is in somewhat of a malaise. 24/7 decided to explore the issue by talking to a number of respected figures in the reggae industry about what many are calling a ‘decline in dancehall.’

Veteran DJ David Rodigan can see why some are no longer celebrating the genre.

I think there are essentially two problems,” he says. “In Jamaica in the last two or three years, young producers– Freddie McGregor's son is just one example– have started to create beats that aren't traditionally reggae, but are instead a fusion of different genres. For some, this is an exciting development. But for those who believe that reggae is a one-drop structure, this is a dramatic change of form, which has not been welcomed with positive reaction.”

He continues: “The other thing that concerns me is the negative lyrics that are coming from some of the new artists. I think that the glorification of thug violence is tragic. Yes, we live in a world that is, in many ways, miserable and yes, negative things should be commented on. But they should never be glorified. I am bewildered by the negativity and resentment and rivalry and anger that exists in some of the music. Reggae music has traditionally lifted people's souls. But a lot of the music that is coming out now does nothing to uplift mankind.”

The negative associations with dancehall have certainly impacted on reggae promoters like Bagga John. The respected promoter who has put on reggae concerts for over 20 years, says that he has definitely seen a