I början av Januari 2014 låstes Whoa och du kan alltså ej logga in eller skriva något nytt i forumen. Innehåll i forum osv kommer finnas tillgängligt. Läs Mer »

2007-12-04 14:27

Tyrone Taylor död

Kopierat från roots-archives.com

Tyrone Taylor
, the reggae singer whose 1983 song Cottage in Negril is considered a classic, died on Saturday.

Norman 'Bull Puss' Bryan, a close friend of Taylor's, said Taylor died from prostate cancer in Kingston.

The St. Elizabeth-born Taylor, who was 50 years old, had fallen on hard times. He suffered two strokes in recent years and spoke openly of a substance abuse problem that derailed a promising career.

Taylor's recording career began during the 1970s when he recorded several songs for top-flight producers like Winston 'Niney' Holness. But it was not until the early 1980s that he hit paydirt with Cottage in Negril.

The song, driven by Taylor's soulful delivery and an infectious saxophone solo, was a homage to the West End resort town which became a hang-out for American hippies and college students in the 1970s.

Signature song:
Cottage in Negril became his signature song, popping up on reggae compilations from European record companies. It made Taylor a minor star on that continent.

Taylor would record other popular songs, such as a cover of American soul singer Bobby Blue Bland's Members Only and 1994's Rainy Sunset, but he never recaptured the success of Cottage in Negril which was recently covered by singer Duane Stephenson.

Taylor made several futile attempts at a comeback, including an appearance at Rebel Salute in his home parish.

source : jamaica-gleaner.com