I början av Januari 2014 låstes Whoa och du kan alltså ej logga in eller skriva något nytt i forumen. Innehåll i forum osv kommer finnas tillgängligt. Läs Mer »

John Kennedy Toole - A Confederacy Of Dunces

Hobby & Fritid - Kultur & Media

2008-11-08 07:28

John Kennedy Toole - A Confederacy Of Dunces

Tänkte tipsa om den här boken, jag sökte i forumet men ingen verkar ha skrivit något om den. Jag brukar inte skriva i det här forumet alls av någon anledning, även om jag läser ganska mycket. Dock tyckte jag att det var dags nu, för det är något av det roligaste jag läst tror jag.

Det finns en bra wikipediaartikel om boken, så jag saxar lite där ifrån:

A Confederacy of Dunces is a novel written by John Kennedy Toole, published in 1980, 11 years after the author's suicide. The book was published through the efforts of writer Walker Percy (who also contributed a revealing foreword) and Toole's mother Thelma Toole, quickly becoming a cult classic, and later a mainstream success. Toole posthumously won the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction in 1981. It is an important part of the 'modern canon' of Southern literature.

The title derives from the epigraph by Jonathan Swift: "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." (Thoughts on Various Subjects, Moral and Diverting)

The story is set in New Orleans in the early 1960s. The central character is Ignatius J. (Jacques) Reilly, an intelligent but slothful man still living with his mother at age 30 in the city's Uptown neighborhood, who, because of family circumstances, must set out to get a job. In his quest for employment he has various adventures with colorful French Quarter characters.

Länk till http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Confederacy_of_Dunces

Som sagt, den här är verkligen värd att läsa! Humorn i den är helt underbar. Ni som läst den, för det måste ju finnas folk här som gjort det, vad tyckte ni om den?

Den finns för övrigt att köpa på Adlibris bl.a: Länk till http://www.adlibris.com/se/product.aspx?isbn=0802130208

I´m kind of a big deal...I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogny