I början av Januari 2014 låstes Whoa och du kan alltså ej logga in eller skriva något nytt i forumen. Innehåll i forum osv kommer finnas tillgängligt. Läs Mer »

[Guide] Jailbreaking Iphone och ipod touch

Hobby & Fritid - Datorer & Teknik

2009-11-18 14:36

[Guide] Jailbreaking Iphone och ipod touch

Har sett många frågor om hur man gör detta så tänkte lägga upp en guide hur man gör på engelska.

Disclaimer: This tutorial might not apply to iPhone 3GS. Follow this guide instead. This tutorial is also void when using iPhone OS 3.1 Beta.

I've seen many people asking how to do this in the forums, so I figured a tutorial was needed. You think this guide is missing anything? Tell me and I'll try to add it if it's within my knowledge.

Table of contents:

# Chapter 1: What is jailbreaking?
- 1.1: Why jailbreak?
- 1.2: Risks when jailbreaking?
- 1.3: The difference between jailbreaking and unlocking (iPhone only)
- 1.4: Legal issues with jailbreaking

# Chapter 2: Jailbreaking your device
- 2.1: What you need
- 2.2: Backup
- 2.3: Update to iPhone OS 3.0
- 2.4: Apply the jailbreak

# Chapter 3: I did it! ... now what?
3.1: Cydia + getting started with your jailbroken device
3.2: Apps that I recommend
3.3: App Store apps for free!?

Chapter 1: What is jailbreaking?
When I think of jailbreaking, I think of freeing the iPhone/iPod (hereby referred to as the 'device') from Apples evil restrictions. Basically it means that it makes you able to run unsigned code on it, but to me it means that I can do all the things Apple never intended me to do. Like my basic need to actually change the background image. (What the hell were you thinking, Apple!?)

1.1: Why jailbreak?
I'll start by showing you a screenshot taken from my iPod Touch: (to take a screenshot, hold the button on the top and press the 'Home'-buttton once)

# The obvious difference at first sight would be that I actually have a background picture! (I'll explain the different apps in 'Chapter 3.3: Apps that I recommend')

Other things is that my dock (the bar at the bottom where the Music, Photos and Videos-apps rest) is transparent to make the background more visible. I have also removed all the standard Apple-icons I do not use, like Stocks and Weather.

Here's a list of a few things I find positive with jailbreaking:
# Change ALOT more settings than Apple wants you to
# Completely modify your device UI
# Free apps and games from App Store
# Run alot of third party apps - for example GameBoy and PSX-emulators

1.2: Risks when jailbreaking?
Those of you worried about bricking your device (making it unusable), I have good news for you! Right now there is really no way to destroy or brick your device when jailbreaking. Sure, things commonly go wrong and sometimes you have to do it two times, but you can ALWAYS use Apple's restore function and your device will be back to normal. With mistakes/bad luck in mind I will guide you through backing up your device in 'Chapter 2.2: Backup'.

I recommend everyone to jailbreak their iPhone/iPod Touch since there are virtually no risks included. And it does make the device 10 times more fun!

1.3: The difference between jailbreaking and unlocking
This chapter applies to iPhones only.

Unlocking and jailbreaking your phone is NOT the same thing. As opposed to jailbreaking, unlocking your phone only lets you use different service providers if you're bound by contract etc. Basically let's you use any sim-card in your phone.

I recommend jailbreaking instead of unlocking, since it gives you all the things described above AND unlocks the phone at the same time.

Unlocking of iPhone is not described in this tutorial, though the process is similar to jailbreaking. I think you can select it in the version of redsn0w that I will be using below.

1.4: Legal issues with jailbreaking
Best part of jailbreaking is that it is completely legal and Apple can't do anything to your device if they find out. Installing cracked apps and games from App Store however, is NOT legal. So it's up to you really.

A jailbroken device offers hundereds of terriffic free third party-apps, so you're not in the dark if you choose to take the legal path. I would still highly recommend a jailbreak!

Chapter 2: Jailbreaking your device
So you've decided that a jailbreak is what you need? Good for you! I will try to describe every step to ensure a smooth jailbreaking-experience.

2.1: What you need
Basically all your need is an iPhone or iPod Touch, a USB-cable, iTunes 8.2, a wi-fi connection for your device, and a PC with internet connection. (The procedure is pretty much the same on a Mac or Linux, you should be able to follow along. This guide is aimed at PC-users though.)

We will be downloading some software during the process, but I will give you the links when you need them.

2.2: Backup
The first thing we will do is backup your device. This is so you can have a smooth rollback if jailbreaking wasn't for you, or if something goes wrong and you decide to stick with your original setup. A backup of your device will keep all your music, apps, contacts, etc.

I can recommend syncing all your contacts and messages to your computer before attempting a jailbreak. If you're updating your iPhone OS at the same time (described in 'Chapter 2.3: Update to iPhone OS 3.0') there is a big risk that you will loose them otherwise.

Backing up your device is easy! Open iTunes when your iPhone/iPod Touch is connected to the computer. Right click the device in the list to the left and select "Back Up" and iTunes does the rest for you.

2.3: Update to iPhone OS 3.0
(If you're already on iPhone OS 3.0, you can skip this step)

Don't know what OS you're running? Check under 'Settings - General - About':

Det är inte lätt att vara tung när man ingenting väger