I början av Januari 2014 låstes Whoa och du kan alltså ej logga in eller skriva något nytt i forumen. Innehåll i forum osv kommer finnas tillgängligt. Läs Mer »

Night of the street arts in Helsinki

Vår Hiphop - Graffiti

2005-08-29 18:10

Night between 25th and 26th of August was "night of the arts" in Helsinki,
that is different galleries, theatres and opera are open until late night, and
there are many events in the streets as well. Because street arts such
as graffiti and stickers have been seriously repressed thanks to so called
"zero tolerance" policy, a number of artists and political activists (from squatter
spectrum, not anarchist) wanted to organise "night of the street arts".
This was a festival against violence and repression unleashed by city of Helsinki and
private army of FPS (Finnish Protection Service) on their payroll. Organisers
preferred not to announce their affiliations, and action was claimed by
no any particular group.

Sound system and 300 marchers started from museum of modern arts Kiasma 10:30 PM,
marched by Mannerheim street, Southern Esplanade and Fabian street, march
ended up in Kaisaniemi park around midnight. I was surprised that police chose
a policy of tolerance, although last June they were heavy-handed in protest demonstration
after eviction of Omega squat. Propably there were already enough kids making trouble
around the city, since for most people "Night of arts" is just another reason to
booze around.

March was little prepared, but people behaved themselves accordingly. All route got tagged
with stencils and without, there were plenty of stickers around as well. Tagged buildings
included ministry of environment, ministry of transport, finnish employers' association
and city hall. Sound system plaid mostly "Finnish slackness" such as Notkea Rotta,
but M.A. Numminen had his share as well. Economical damage caused by the demonstration
must be tens of thousands of euro, all time record in Finland. There was not much violence,
someone going around with a jacket of some security company (Securitas or Group 4 Falck)
tried to beat up guy who sprayed him, police cars were thrown with an occasional beer
bottle. There were also conflicts with passers buy who do not respect aesthetics of tagging.
In the end, kids built a barricade in Kaisaniemi park, but everything ended up without
a confrontation. Only 5 persons were arrested, one after a courageous but senseless kamikaze
attack against a police car right in the beginning, rest of the people are propably charged
with criminal damage but I would be surprised if there was enough proof against them.

Ordet klotter får närmast betecknas som ett pejorativ och lämpar sig därför inte i seriösa sammanhang