I början av Januari 2014 låstes Whoa och du kan alltså ej logga in eller skriva något nytt i forumen. Innehåll i forum osv kommer finnas tillgängligt. Läs Mer »

Kort artikel om NYG'z

Utländsk Hiphop - Allmänt

2008-01-07 11:49

Kort artikel om NYG'z

The NYG’z have little to show in the way of musical output after years on DJ Premier’s Year Round label, but they’re about to be rewarded for their patience. After a few 12-inch singles and a “street” album, Shabeeno and Panchi are working on a proper debut that will be entirely produced by their legendary boss. Only a few MC’s have had the privilege to rap over a full-length collection of Premo beats, and when any rumors of all-Premier produced projects emerge, the topic usually sets off a frenzy of speculation among underground rap fans. (Remember the prospect of a Nas/Premo album?) Soon the Bronx duo will join the likes of Guru, Group Home and Jeru The Damaja in an exclusive group of artists who have worked on entire albums with Premier.

Even the gruff-voiced Panchi, real name Andre Davis, admitted that the pressure to deliver can be intimidating. “It’s dope though because it’s going to generate interest,” he said. “I don’t care if they say it’s dope. I don’t care if they say it’s wack. I just care that they say.” In October the NYG’z released Welcome to G-Dom, a collection of new and previously-released material featuring a handful of producers – including DJ Premier – and a slew of guest rappers. It’s a quality introduction, but the NYG’z prefer to think of it as a “street” album, an introduction of what’s to come with their official debut, Pros & Cons. According them, that disc will be short on guests and big on originality. “They (listeners) can expect a brand new sound from a brand new group,” Panchi said. “And Premier is going get the most of that sound we need. So after you hear the static on the record, when you hear the beat drop, you’ll know that’s NYGz without all the music sounding exactly the same.”

Despite Panchi’s quote, the NYG’z are hardly a brand new group. They’ve been friends since the ’80s and they’re connection to Premier and Guru goes back to when Gang Starr released their debut, No More Mr. Nice Guy. Listeners first heard Panchi in 1997 on a skit from O.C.’s second album, Jewelz. Shortly after that, a three-year prison stint would put his rap dreams on hold. According to Panchi, authorities found $60,000 in his possession during a search at an airport in St. Louis and became suspicious. “The DEA (Drug Enforcement Administration) said it was drug money,” he said. “They seized my money. The FBI let me go because it wasn’t a federal offense. They didn’t find any federal offenses, but the DEA seized my money and Missouri took up a case. They gave me a stealing charge, said I stole the money.” Through a phone call from prison in 1998, he would provide the intro for the Gang Starr track “Betrayal” from Moment of Truth, an album that also featured Shabeeno on the “The Mall.” They joined forces with Gang Starr in 2003 on “Same Team, No Games” from the group’s final album, The Ownerz. Since the early ’00s, they’ve been signed to Year Round. When asked to explain the lapse between their signing date and a full-length release, Panchi responded “That’s a Premier question.” All Shabeeno offered was “Premier had too much on his plate.”

Panchi is by far the more talkative of the two, but both men are friendly. However, on the mic they can be as brutal as any of the most hardened MC’s. Take for example the Premier-produced “N.H.B.”, a scathing rant against censorship in hip-hop with their label mate Blaq Poet that targets Don Imus, Al Sharpton and New York City police officers among oth

Denna användare har skrivit alla inlägg där användaren har tagits bort från whoa.