AllHipHop.com: We all know a lot of Black men that have lost their lives needlessly. What do you think are the reasons for the havoc coast to coast?
Nas: It’s just that we’re naturally born Black and aggressive towards getting what we deserves. We’re born knowing that something is missing. We’re born feeling like we’re born in an alien nation. From day one, your moms and what she goes through. I mean just, just, generations. It’s what your parents have already been through. Really, it depends on how your family structure is. If your moms is on dope, and your pops ain’t there, you gonna grow up real strong in certain ways and real f**ked up in certain ways. But if your moms is there and your pops is there but they are just weak people who didn’t know how to guide you…If you’re the kind of person who takes things upon yourself, then you’re gonna be a different way. You know it’s all kinds of ways we come out. It’s so many of us that are around each other. So much s**t on our minds. We’re thinkin’ we’re tyrants trying to get to the right solution. We’re thinkin’ about all the different ways of getting it and it’s mad obstacles in our way. It’s mad s**t that we don’t see in our way that makes us fall. It’s so easy for us to f**k up, especially when you are coming from a poor family.
AllHipHop.com: On Main Source’s “Live at the BBQ” you had a line that said “When I was 12 I went to hell for snuffin’ Jesus.” I’m not a Christian, but the fact that a man would make a casual remark like that about the murder of an acknowledged Prophet to some and saviour by others- what brings lines like that out?
Nas: When I’m feelin’ up to a point where I’m on some s**t where I just don’t give a s**t about nobody. ’Cause ain’t nothin’ in my pocket. I’m going through some s**t, I’ll diss anybody I want to. I’ll tell you why. I could break the s**t down for you. Because when a person is that angry, that’s how he feels about everything. That’s how I felt lyrically at the time.
AllHipHop.com: Reminds me of Malcolm X, in the movie when he yells to the priest “You tell Jesus to kiss my ass! What has he done for me. He ain’t done nothin’ for me!”
Nas: I kinda felt like how Malcolm X felt. And this was before the movie, I just thought of Malcolm when I said that. You know what I mean? I knew he would be behind me.
AllHipHop.com: Are you coming to the West Coast any time soon?
Nas: True indeed. I plan on comin’ out there with the Queens s**t, the inner side of Queens material. It’s a lot of punk muthaf**kas that never say Queens and s**t.
AllHipHop.com: Why do you think that is?
Nas: I don’t know, to tell you the truth. I don’t know. It just became like a religion for some rappers not to mention Queens. But I’m from Queensbridge, and I’m just representing’. It’s all about the bridge with me.
www.allhiphop.com