I början av Januari 2014 låstes Whoa och du kan alltså ej logga in eller skriva något nytt i forumen. Innehåll i forum osv kommer finnas tillgängligt. Läs Mer »

13/1 - José James, Berns

Klubb & Konserter - Stockholm

2007-12-14 23:16

13/1 - José James, Berns

http://www.myspace.com/josejamesquartet

Äntligen dags för en spelning i Sthlm.

Rising star José James is defining a new direction in contemporary music, combining urban blues, hip-hop, soul, drum + bass, and straight-ahead to produce a sound that is fresh as tomorrow yet deeply rooted in the tradition of jazz.

His upcoming first release on international dj + producer Gilles Peterson's new Brownswood Label reflects his passion for diversity – singing the sanctified blues with legendary pianist Junior Mance on Rashaan Roland Kirk's "Spirits Up Above"; taking a contemporary view of Bill Lee's "Nola"; and adding a jazz sensibility to the hip-hop meets 70's soul groove of Freestyle Fellowship's classic "Park Bench People."

His own compositions range from the driving "Red" to contemporary modal + soul jazz explorations, "Velvet" and "Desire"; from the laid back drum + bass soul of "Love" to his lover’s rock anthem "blackeyedsusan"; on to the lyrical ballad poems "The Dreamer (for Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.)" and "Winterwind."

With tracks in constant rotation on BBC Radio 1 and Gilles Peterson Worldwide + with a recent feature in Straight, No Chaser - José James album "The Dreamer" is being heralded as one of the most promising jazz albums of 2008.

Release date January 28th, Brownswood Recordings.